Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Becoming Jellybeans

When my oldest daughter Teagan was maybe 3. She decided we were all Jellybeans and gave us colors.
She was the red, Brendan the green, I was the yellow, Trinity the pink and Dad the black ( ok what did she know that I was still blind too?) Its been such a bonding experience, everyone is proud of their colors and the newbies can't wait to be official jellybeans and pick their colors. When I need to buy something, its easy to get everyone their colors.   I'm thinking we may have to celebrate the girls adoption with a color ceremony and a jellybean decorated family birthday cake.

I have a wonderful friend who has special symbols for her girls, i.e.: treasures, sweet heart. This has been a bonding experience for them too.  Taking this one step further. We chose to have a family mascott. The kids voted on a Wolf, (pre Twilight) as a symbol that they stick together. A family song: The Blessing. I feel it creates a spirit of unity and team work in our home. Seriously, if it works for teams and gangs, it will work in a healthy environment of our homes and may be a protective factor in keeping our children grounded and safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment