Sunday, September 5, 2010

Consequences

Last night we had one of those teachable moments. Sadie took it upon her self to take a part and break one of her sisters toys. Realizing her mistake, she tried to cover it up by coming down stairs to tell me " I accidently broke Lexi's drum."  When she brought it too me, it was obvious it was no accident.  I let her know I was disappointed that she had lied to me and had her go upstairs while I pondered my next move.
I decided the right thing for Sadie to do is to replace the drum.  Tearful, she climbed into the car and we went to the store. They didn't have a drum, so Sadie said she'd buy Lexi a toy of her choice.  When we got home, Sadie helped me with the girls since she had taken my time to go to the store. We revisited the topic of lying and the importance of trust.  I wish I could always approach their behavior with such calmness and clarity. 

Actually this experience didn't ruin a nice day. Its extra warm here in AZ. we spent the day swimming, what else does one do when its 108 out? Made stain glass sun catchers and went to the library. We are trying to do more at home to save extra money for a trip in Oct to Disneyland. 

No comments:

Post a Comment