Saturday, September 18, 2010

Storage Solutions

Storage, do we really need all that stuff? I work from a capacity of less is more and am vigilant about getting rid of unneeded, unused items.  Clutter is like rabbits, it multiplies quickly but isn't nearly as cute. Being in AZ we are some what limited on storage. We have no basement and the attic is virtually unusable due to heat damage.  I try to maximize the space in cabinets, closets and garage.

Lets start in the garage: LOVE my garage cabinets. They allow us to use floor to ceiling storage. Some cabinets have peg boards, others shelves. I tuck the holiday decor away at the top. If it doesn't fit, it goes.

Garage Cabinets worth the money!

In the garage we also store seasonal clothes and clothing another jellybean might grow into.  Like many other mom's I have choosen to use the clear plastic bins. They stack easily and I can see whats in them.

Clothing bins
In the house we use baskets to give us additional storage. Under the beds each bed has its linens and winter blankets. Each bed has two sets of sheets, one for use and another to change into.  Baskets are used to contain all sorts of items, for quick clean up and containment.  Here are some of ours:


Basket for the backpacks

Main bookshelf.
Baskets corrals the kids leapster and games

Shoes became a frustration, not only does each bedroom have a shoe rack on the door, but since the shoes had a habit of not making it to the bedroom doors, I added one to the down stairs game closet. Once a week or more, we take the shoes to their prospective homes.

Shoe rack, but we also display past school projects here too!

Storage and display of school work from the kids.  Besides the fridge. I've framed their art for our dinning room.I have it on a variety of doors, presentation posters,decorate our garage. I keep the really special items in one box, and in the box each child has their own school days memory book. After all those years of my mom storing my school work, my kids are getting to go through it with her and have throughly enjoyed telling me about it.

I store things we will need, not things we "might" need. I try to keep the cabinets accessible so we can get to and use the items we need at the time. Sometimes that takes being honest about what we truly do need.
My storage wish? I would love to obtain a small storage unit for the side of the house to house the lawn mower and other items, in time. Right now, my storage dilema is to figure out a way to store this wonderful collection of assorted fancy tea cups, I just purchased from Goodwill online. I look forward to having tea parties with the girls and their friends. In between, I'd love to store them in away that displays them too. Ideas?

If you are looking for more storage ideas from some amazingly creative and smart mom's start at http://raisingolives.com/ where they are discussing storage ideas for a large family.




No comments:

Post a Comment